Belfast Trail to the Devilís Marbleyard
3.0 miles, moderate terrain
40 miles from Daleville, $4.00 carpool fee
Directions from I-81:
1. Take exit 180A and follow US11 East.
2. In 3.6 miles bear LEFT VA-130 (Natural Bridge).
3. In 3.1 miles turn RIGHT Arnold Valley Rd (VA-759). sign [Cave Mt Lake].
4. In 2.9 miles turn LEFT Petite Gap Road (VA-781).
5. In 1.5 miles arrive at parking area for the Belfast trailhead and footbridge on the left.
From the Belfast trailhead immediately cross a footbridge, pass between two columns, follow the blue blazes
and cross the orange blazed Glenwood Horse Trail. In a few yards come to the junction with an old woods
road and a campsite straight ahead. Turn left onto the woods road and pass the old foundations of some camp
buildings on the left. Soon cross Belfast Creek. The Glenwood Horse Trail will come in sharply from the left
for a few yards before turning left at a sign. Stay straight on the Belfast Trail and soon enter the James
Face Wilderness. AT 1.3 miles from the trailhead the Devilís Marbleyard appears just to the left of the trail.
This is an eight-acre field of quartzite boulders which affords endless scrambling opportunities (watch out for
snakes, though) and great views. The return is along the same route.